Billboard advertising is a marketing strategy that advertisers use to get people’s attention driving by their business. It’s one of the most popular forms of outdoor advertising and has been around since before the invention of TV or Radio. The idea behind it is simple: you want to catch someone’s attention with an eye-catching graphic or message so they will take notice and stop to check out your product, service, or location.
What Is A Billboard?
Billboard advertising is an outdoor marketing technique that involves displaying a large poster-type sign, typically in the form of one or more text messages and illustrations. These signs are strategically placed along highways and on public streets to reach as many people as possible with their message.
What Is Billboard Advertising?
Billboard advertising is outdoor advertising where billboards serve as the primary medium for delivering an advertisement. Billboards have been used since at least 1890 when they were created by William Rock, who could share his ideas through Canada’s National Exhibition in Toronto.
Types Of Billboards
Billboards come in a variety of sizes and forms. The following are examples of different types of billboards:
1. Three-dimensional billboards
Billboard advertising is defined as the process of renting a billboard for displaying one’s product or brand. There are many types of billboards, and they all serve different purposes. In recent years, one type that has become popular is three-dimensional (or “tridimensional”) billboards, which are essentially large signs with special effects such as motion pictures and sound effects.
2. Painted billboards
Painted billboards are among the most traditional methods of advertising. The billboard is painted with a designated advertisement and can be seen from both driving lanes on the road or sidewalks where pedestrians walk, as it covers an entire side of a building.
3. Digital billboards
Digital billboards are a form of digital advertising. They share characteristics with other types of display media, such as video screens and traditional billboards, but they also have unique features that set them apart from the rest. Digital billboard advertisements can be seen in the same places as some static (traditional) forms, though due to advancements in software technology, these are typically more widespread and can be seen in several different urban areas.
4. Static Billboards
Static billboards, also known as “dumb boards,” are the traditional form of a billboard, consisting of a large sign on the side of a building or structure. Their design consists of vinyl sheets that have been printed with an image and then wrapped around aluminum frames to create what looks like one solid piece.
5. Mobile billboards
Mobile billboards are offered in various shapes like hexagons, triangles, and circles. They can be placed on trucks, or they might use a wheeled base that lets them roam the streets of your city. The mobile billboard has become so popular because it gives advertisers complete flexibility to reach their target audience when they are most likely to see the sign. Mobile billboards are highly cost-effective as well.
What Are The Advantages Of Billboard Advertising?
- It provides an incentive for impulse purchases: Billboards can influence and motivate people to make quick purchases, which is one of the reasons they are still in use. Your decision-makers are your main viewers. So, if you can get into their brains with your billboard, they’ll flock to your store and buy something.
- Billboards are large and noticeable: Billboards take up many real estates and may be quite appealing if created by an intelligent marketer. Intentionally or unintentionally, a good billboard may cause a prospect to stop and look at it.
- Billboards are vast and eye-catching: Billboards are eye-catching because they are so big; this makes them different from what people usually experience when viewing advertising. Billboards are often used to create a powerful statement about the product being advertised.
- Billboards appeal to all ages: Billboards appeal to all age groups since they are in public spaces where people can notice them no matter what age they are. Billboard advertising allows companies to make their marketing messages and products available to consumers wherever they are, which can be very useful if the company has items like food or fashion that aren’t usually found in stores.
How To Use Billboard Advertising Correctly?
- Silly, keep it simple: Make use of bright, contrasting colors and large, legible typography that can be read from a distance.
- Add Images: Images draw attention and make it simpler to focus while driving. Use a photo that is appealing and related to your brand.
- Make it memorable by being more visual: Create a distinctive billboard ad with a strong message and a clever call-to-action that gets people thinking.
- Make the most of your location: A billboard advertising strategy’s success is determined by two factors: billboard design and location.
The Bottom Line
Billboard advertising is a great way to increase brand awareness. However, the cost of billboards varies significantly by location and media type, so it’s essential to do your research before deciding how you want to advertise on one. Billboards are usually located in high traffic areas such as highways or outside major businesses like grocery stores.